Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Go Seahawks!



So thanks to a nice neighbor of mine who gave us four tickets to the Seattle Seahawks game this past weekend, and my sweet husband who suggested that I take the tickets and go by myself with a friend to get away, and even offered to get us a hotel for the night so we could stay up there instead of heading back late. All this after I messed up his new spoiler! What a great guy!
So I was able to get my sweet friend Julie to escape with me at about 4pm on Friday with cokes and chocolate in hand of course, ready for a good time. Or at the very least a good break from our everday lives!
We didn't arrive until later than we had expected because apparently there are a lot of Seahawk fans in Portland, traffic was a little heavy! We were in no hurry though, so no big deal. We got to the hotel and then headed out to the game. Not really knowing what to expect when we got there. This was my first NFL experience so I was anxious to see what it was all about.
Once we were close to the stadium we heard what sounded like thunder coming from inside. The fans were so loud and the stadium was beautiful. Seattle really did a nice job on making this new one! We were looking for parking when we noticed a sign that said: PARKING $40.00. Both Julie and I were thinking that had to be wrong, that it must be for like a week or something. So we kept driving in circles. Only to realize that no, $40.00 was not for a week, it was parking for the game only. Oh and $40.00 was actually a good deal! We had no choice to give in though and since the tickets and hotel were free, we could swing the 40 bucks for parking!
Once we were parked and on our way to the stadium we started looking for people that might want to buy the additional two tickets we had! Our first scalping experience! Let me say that with the competition of professional scalper people around, we were a little intimidated! The first guy we saw had a sign on him that read: Buy/Sale Tickets. OK, easy. We could sell them to him and be done with it! He was really nice and probably could tell we had no idea what we were doing but was still kind enough not to laugh at us! He said we had great seats, but if it was earlier in the game he would of bought them for the $50.00 we were asking. He offered us $20.00 and said that was the best he could do. I decided to play hardball being the hardcore intimidating person that I am and all! We walked away and started looking for someone else. Julie is psychic I think. We saw a young couple walking next to us that looked as if they were just headed into the stadium, not looking to buy tickets at all. But Julie must of sensed something because she said "should we ask them if they need tickets?" I thought more than likely they had tickets and didn't want to ask them for fear of looking dumb! But sure enough, they headed for another scalper! The guy was talking to the scalper so Julie and I cornered his girlfriend and asked her if she needed tickets. We showed her the seats and told her we just wanted to make our parking money back. So the other scalper, who was also very nice, told them our seats were a better deal! Our first scalping experience! We managed to pull it off! The bonus was they were really nice people and it wasn't horrible sitting by them during the game!
Once inside the stadium, loaded with nachos and fries, we realized that we really did have nice seats! We found our row and Julie asked the two women sitting on the end if we could squeeze by real quick. Well, they must of been really BIG fans because she looked at us with a horrible look on her face and said "you can't even wait five seconds until the play is over"! Oh my. Julie and I are both too nice and we had no idea how to handle these women. So we said thank you as they stood to let us pass (after the play of course!) and ran to our seats!
The stadium was even better from the inside and the fans even louder! It was a really fun and exciting experience! Both Julie and I were thinking we should become fans and head up there every weekend! The whole commradety in the stadium was felt all around us. Like 500 people all cheering for the same thing and wanting the same outcome...you can't beat it!
We left at the end of the third quarter so that we could miss heavy traffic and also because the man sitting next to Julie was suddenly very stinky after his dinner of chinese food! We decided to head for the Cheesecake Factory for a little dessert! Cheesecake and fried macaroni and cheese actually. A great way to end the night if you ask me!
So after we both got ready for bed, watched a little Late Show with David Letterman, and popped some Tylenol PM (we wanted a great nights sleep!), we crashed at about 12:30am! We are too wimpy to stay up later than that!
Ok, so you have two moms who never get a full nights sleep because of our wonderful children, and we never get to sleep in past 7am. Now, I never take two Tylenol PM's so I wasn't sure what to expect. I slept so hard only waking occasionally because my mind expects to be woken I guess. When I finally woke up and looked at the clock it was 11:30!!! Holy crap! Even as a teenager I never slept that late! We were laughing about missing out on the free breakfast we were so looking forward too!
Ok, this is getting long, sorry. After heading out and getting back on the road, we were both wishing we could spend more time in the cool city of Seattle. Another time though, back to reality and those wonderful kids that keep us up at night!
We did get milkshakes on the way home just as one final treat though!
One big hug for my neighbor Kim for giving me the tickets, one for Stan for knowing when I need a break and his willingness to make it happen! And of course one for Julie for coming with me! I had a blast!


3 comments:

cody said...

Thanks girl for that awsome night! I am so proud of us! Two brave girls surviving the night life of Seattle! :) j.k ! I had a blast! Thanks to Stan for the fab hotel!! Lets do it again soon! Juls

Heather said...

I swear, you have had so many chick trips in your life! So I've been friends with you for how many years now??? Umm, no girl trip with me?? You suck. JK. Maybe when I'm a west coaster again. Looks like you had a great time. You two look like you could be sisters!

surfingpigtails said...

Sounds like a fun girls trip! You deserve it. Miss you!
Sha