We are a group of "older" people this is true. We all get out there and just contribute where we can, and thank goodness some of us contribute more than others. But, we are AWESOME and playing soccer is soooo much fun!!
Stan and a neighbor decided to put a co-ed team together to compete at a local indoor soccer arena. We are called "Wine 30" after what our neighbors like to do: get together at 5:30 and sit around drinking wine. It was such a normal part of our summer last year that it officially became known as "wine 30". Great times, you don't even have to drink wine to attend :)...and you really should because if you aren't there, then you never know what may be said about you!! Trust me! So anyway, hence our co-ed soccer team was formed. Granted the original team only has a few members left now. We are in a "beginners league" that really is more intermediate if you ask me. And honestly, some of the players are even better than intermediate. So, those players that were expecting a good leisurely time dropped out after the first game. But, the good news is, we recruited some awesome new players and after a rough first session, have won both of our games this session! So six more to go and I have a feeling we may just go all the way this time!! What I love about it is the competition and the exercise! What a great workout! Running all over the place like a chicken without a head (which is what I do most of the time) really does a body good! I may be the worst player on the team, but I don't care! As long as they don't kick me off, then I am still playing. The best part is Stan and I do this together and I get to watch my husband work his tail off and score at every game! He has more skills than myself, and I think he is pretty dang good! He is supportive and tells me I am doing awesome at every game (lie or not, I love it!). We have some great friends that we play with, and that makes it such a great time. Honestly win or not, just seeing the kids cheer us on is worth it! They don't care if we win, they just like watching Mom and Dad play. And what better thing than to show your kids how fun staying active can be! Of course Drew is better than me so she gives me pointers now and then and just smiles at me when I am sweaty and tired. I know what she is thinking...it isn't so easy is it Mom?? I may give her a hard time after her games (and during really) when she plays. It's that competitive side of me I guess. But this soccer thing is fun and addicting and I am glad it is something we can do together as a family. Go Wine 30!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh my that is so freak'n awesome! I'm truly impressed. I would last 5 minutes - maybe. I love that you and Stan have something to do together other than going out to eat and watching tv (that would be us!). Maybe someday I'll start my own league of competitive tv watching. I'll win for sure.
That really is awesome! I had no idea that you would play soccer, but I am really impressed. It does sound like a great family activity to do. If I were ever to do anything like this I would need to be on a team as great as yours sounds like, because I don't know much at all about soccer, but I have always thought it would be fun to play. Way to Go!!
That's great you and your husband do something active together. I'm with Heather, Scot doesn't like to do anything physically active, but I love to be out and about. Much of the time I cave in and sit on the couch with Scot and watch TV. It is something that really makes me want to scream, but that's where I get to spend time with him... This year I'm going to encourage Scot to go biking with me at night, we'll see. Go team Wine 30! Good luck!
Post a Comment