No more being down in the dumps for me. Nope. This morning I ran a couple errands (getting a coke at 8am counts as errands right?!). So, while I was waiting in line the man behind the counter looked up and smiled at me, I politely smiled back. He held my gaze for a minute (not in a creepy way though). I felt a little self conscious about it though, because, well I always do. When I got to the counter he said hello and took my things to ring up. As I was waiting he said "you know, I see you in here occasionally and I have to say, when you smile your eyes twinkle." So, now feeling more awkward I smile and say "um...thanks?!" "No really, you should smile more, it makes a guys day to see a mom come in here with her kids and they are all smiling and laughing, it warms my heart." I am thinking, are you sure you have the right person? I mean if we were all smiling and laughing and I wasn't yelling at my kids to put the candy down, then I must of bribed them with candy or something before we got out of the car.
"Well thanks, I like to see my kids smile and laugh too!" "Well, he said you looked sad when you were in line so I just thought you should know, you look much better when your smiling and your eyes are twinkling!"
Now this is an older man, who I honestly believe was saying this in a kind way, not a hey I'm old, your decent looking....interested in hooking up way. He seems sincere and is very kind every time I enter this establishment. So, yes I am sad about my dog, but she is at home sleeping peacefully on her bed. So, I am going to embrace the moment and smile more. At the very least, I will try and smile every time I see this man in the future. And I will thank him for making me smile because there are days when I just don't want too!
And so you know, because this is me, I came home and went to the mirror and smiled. I saw no sparkle, but when Nicolas came up behind me and smiled, I saw the twinkle in his eyes and it made me smile even bigger! He said "mommy, are you looking for your twinkle!?" "Your crazy!" Now today will be a good day because I am crazy and it started out with a fountain coke and a nice compliment! What could be better!? ;)
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
He is right, your eyes do twinkle and your kids eyes twinkle too. Not everyone's eyes do that--mine don't, not that I'm complaining (even though I would love it if they did!!). I love those life experiences that add sunshine to our northwestern rainy days. I'll be looking for more twinkling the next time I see you!!
Hey guys! We saw your blog on Emily's. It is so cute! We can't believe how big your kids are. They are dang cute. We hope to see you soon...
Hey teresa!
I saw your blog on Emily's. Your kids are so dang cute! Also, just thought I would share that when our dog Dolly got cancer they said she only had 6 months left at the most, but she lived three more years! I hope that is the case for Bailey too. Our blog is jhandrus.blogspot.com if ya want to check it out. Lots of love,
Heather
Those out of the blue complements are THE best! What a nice man to help you start your day, beyond the fountain Coke...
Post a Comment