Wednesday, January 7, 2009

::::Friends::::

I know how important my friends are to me. I wish I knew when I was younger how important some of my friendships would become. To have that magic ball and know that even though so and so hates me today, in five years we will look back and laugh at that day. I dropped Nicolas off at school today and this is the conversation he had with what he considers to be his "best buddy".

Nicolas: Hey do you want to be weather helper with me today?
Friend: Nods his head yes.
The friend then goes and puts his name by Nicolas's name so that they can do this "job" together.
Nicolas: Best Buddies (attempting a hug) right?
Friend: Shoving Nicolas away and nodding his head to say no.
Me: Friend, Nicolas really was excited to be weather helper with you today. You are friends and it is nice to treat each other the same way you would like to be treated. (Ready to strangle, chastize, and or pull him by his ear...don't you EVER mess with my kids you brat!)
Friend: No. I need to think about it. He is not my friend right now.
Nicolas: Wanna play blocks? (bless his sweet heart)
Friend: No. I want to play with someone else.
Nicolas: Looks up at me with his big brown eyes. He will get nicer Mommy. He is just grumpy in the morning, right?
Me: Right. He really likes you Bud, because you are nice and a fun person to play with. (on the verge of tears now).
Nicolas: Sitting down at the blocks table and talking with the girls.
Me: Thinking, ah! This will be important later in life Friend! The girls like my Nicolas, but they look at you as the bully of the class. Just wait kid. The day will come when you will wish you were nicer to the other kids.
Nicolas: You can leave now Mommy. I am a big kid. Bye!
Me: Um, ok. Just remember though. If this friend is not nice to you, you play with someone else ok?
Nicolas: Nods his head yes. Concentrating on his block castle. Barely noticing me now.
Me: I love you.
Nicolas: love you too Momma

Then I leave and dwell on this for hours. Because I worry that this kid will scar Nicolas for life. He thinks so much of him. He tolerates his rudeness and keeps going back for more. He craves his approval, and doesn't get it. What if this keeps happening? How will I be able to send him out into the world with this on my mind?!
So, I tell myself to relax. Nicolas is probably over it, and was over it as soon as it happened. My dwelling on it and worry over it will only make it worse. But how do we manage as parents when we see other kids being cruel to our own? Life lessons. I know. But it doesn't make it easy to watch.

And to think it will only get worse as they grow.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh I can totally relate - we should talk. Parenting can be so freak'n painful! Prayers help. I'll have to tell you a little story about JD and his little buddy.

cody said...

It is soooo true!! I hate to hurt for our little kiddos and "friends" It is sooo hard with age!! AHHH being a parent is soooo hard! But you are just the best mom ever! Juls

cody said...

Hey T,
I wanted to tell you I love your background !! Sooo great!!!!

jen Whetman said...

It is difficult to watch your children get mistreated, but you are right as they get older it gets much, much worse. It's all I can do when Sydney comes home with "that look" and runs to her room. The best thing is to just become the best listener in the world. Teens really are horrible little people to each other, especially girls. Good luck!