For as long as my Nicolas has been on this earth, he has struggled with ear infections and sinus infections. From 7 days old until 4years old. He had tubes placed at 13 months in his ears. I remember sitting in the waiting room for all of twenty minutes or so after they took him away from me on a gurney to have them put in. It was a long twenty minutes, very long. When they called me back to recovery, there he was funky hair and all, screaming. At the top of his lungs. MAD. He left me in tears, but we left the facility with a new hope for no more anti-biotic. It didn't last. Within six months he was getting a disgusting gnarly runny nose every other week or so. The doc said we would wait, so we did. Long story short, we waited until about six months before our move from Arizona to be told he probably needed his adenoids removed. Then, we waited another couple years. Until yesterday.
Yesterday morning I rose early. Stan is up at this time on a daily basis, I am not. 5am is too early for me. But I was to take Nicolas to have his little surgery. We were scheduled to be at the hospital in Portland at 6:30am. I had not slept much the night before due to nerves. The same ones I think every mother feels if their children are going under for even the most simple procedures. I had not slept for a couple nights honestly. I had a weird feeling in my stomach and my heart ached a little. I kept thinking back to the screaming baby that awaited me after the last procedure. My heart sank at the thought of him once again being taken away on a gurney.
I have to say this was a much better experience. Nicolas was so brave, and really had been looking forward to it (bribes work people!). The hospital (St. Vincents) was wonderful. The nurses kind and knowledgeable. We were in our own little post op room. Just me, Stan, and Nicolas. The teddy bear on the bed was his to keep, the OR nurse, the recovery room nurse, they all came to introduce themselves. It was very easy to feel comfortable there, the worry was not subsiding though. Just the look on my face must of given me away to them all though. They have seen it before. the look of a mom who knows it is not that big of a deal, but still hates the idea of it.
Once the pre-op drug was given (a god send if you ask me), Nicolas was so out of it. He had no idea what or where we were. He was rolled away without a single worry in his sweet head. I went to the waiting room (after Stan had to leave us for work obligations), and sat. Got that feeling again, and got up to get a drink. About twenty minutes go by. The woman at the front gets a call, hangs up, looks at me and smiles. That was the nurse, Nicolas will be done in about ten minutes and the doctor will be out to talk to you! She was so kind, she had seen my face on other mothers a thousand times before.
Ten minutes later, Dr. Esmer was there with a smile also. All was well. Nicolas did great and he will really benefit from this procedure. Thanks Dr. Esmer. For being a good Doctor and for working with my husband on cases so that we (or he) had seen your skills first hand!
Then, another ten minutes and the nice lady up front is walking me back to see my little guy who is coming to.
That was when I was sure I would loose it. There he was, still not completely "back". Body shaking, jaw quivering. Wanting to get up and leave, wanting the IV out of his hand. Wanting me. I climbed up on the gurney with him, close. Tried to soothe, and speak calmly. The Popsicle was in his hand and in his belly in all of three minutes. It must of soothed him more than I could at that time. He asked for another, and was granted his wish. Another purple Popsicle. Another three minutes and it was gone. Then he snuggled into me, and rested. Twenty minutes go by, and then the purple Popsicles were all over me. And him. And the bed. Yum.
Another chance, this time with water. Ten minutes and the water is back up. All over again. Drugs are given for nausea, thirty minutes go by. More water back up. Two hours later, we are walking to the car. Me, our friend Darrell who is pushing Nicolas is his chariot. A wheelchair ride to cap off the fun filled half day at the hospital. A well deserved ride for my little guy.
Home now. A little loopy kid who doesn't really care about the days events. He just wants pancakes to eat and movies to watch. He gets them both. And Mommy's heart and stomach are fine. So, I have pancakes with him and we lay in bed together and watch movies until Daddy is home.
Hating the IV
Post Popsicles, trying to recover.
2 comments:
Oh man can I relate! JD is 8 and had to get his 3rd set surgically removed a few months ago. His ears aren't doing too well, so he may need some permanently again. Ugh...I hate the feeling of sending your baby off to the masked people (no offense Joel).
He looks like he's doing great. Good luck!
Hello, I arrived by chance on your blog and I find super to have news of the Schafeitel family of the United States of America, I read what had arrived to small Nicolas, I hope that it will be better, I send my best greetings to you since our small country Switzerland and me delighted to read again you by your blog, greetings with all your family, sorry afflicted for my English not very good.
Post a Comment