Friday, May 30, 2008

Growing up is hard to do!!


Happy Happy Birthday to the sweetest little guy on the planet. Nicolas turned four years old yesterday! HOW??? Where did four years go??? What a bittersweet day it was. I am still feeling a pang of sadness today that my baby is now a "big boy". My arms and fingers long to hold that little tiny baby again. That little "old man" we called him when he was first born. He was a few weeks early and literally was skin and bones. The skin just hung from his tiny little body! My heart swells just thinking of that and how it just seemed like yesterday. Then one day, actually a lot of days, I look back and realize that it really does go by way too fast and I want those moments back again. This could go on and on, so I better stop now!

I had the pleasure of joining Nicolas at preschool yesterday! We brought cupcakes in and got to share the day with his friends and teachers at school. The kids and teachers are so kind and made him feel very special and loved! The kids loved the cupcakes and made a huge mess, but enjoyed every moment and every bite! After school the plan was to go pick up Drew from school and head to the zoo. Well, one tired little boy and a Mommy with a head cold ended up passing on the zoo. Drew still got out of school early though and we had a great lunch together before taking a good much deserved NAP!! When Stan came home from work, the four of us headed out to Chucky Cheese! I know, lucky us right!? The things we do for our kids..... We had a great time though and most important, Nicolas had a blast and played his heart out at all the games. The best part is, he doesn't care about the tickets! We had to remind him when he was done playing to grab the tickets he had won! I am sure the other kids there were following him around loving all the free tickets! So, after our little family party we are now getting ready for his "big party" Saturday! We are going to have a small carnival in our backyard with a few friends from school and the neighborhood. Stan came up with the idea a few weeks ago and we have been working on it ever since! Of course we set out to keep this as simple as possible, but when it comes down to it, simple is not what it is. By the time it is all said and done, a lot of hours have been put into signs for the games, buying prizes, food, decorations etc etc. But, I think it will be a success and a lot of fun memories will be created! Stay tuned!
So, I end this post a little sad that Nicolas is growing up, but happy to see what he has become. In the four years since he was born, we have slept little, loved a lot, watched a lot of Spiderman, fixed a lot of owies, gone through gallons and gallons of chocolate milk, answered a TON of questions, laughed until our stomaches hurt, and wished a million wishes. All of the good and the bad is what makes it so hard for me to say goodbye to my little bubba and hello to my big boy. I am going to miss the fun that goes along with the "toddler" phase, but I can't wait to see what this little man does next! When he says, "Momma, how many ages (he means inches) did I grow?" I say "Too much baby boy, too much...slow down a little will ya?? Wait for me to catch up with you!! " He laughs and says "I am not ever leaving you Mommy, don't worry!" If he only knew how much I wish that were true! This, my friends is why growing up is hard to do! Only, I think that was meant for the Mommys and Daddys more than anyone! Happy 4th Birthday buddy! Momma, Daddy and Sissy love you!!

2 comments:

cody said...

That is the sweetest post! You are such a great mom! I love it! See you at the party!! Juls

Heather said...

OK it's official, I need to ship my kids up to you. They need someone to tell them that they're wonderful! That was really sweet and I still have great things to learn from you!

Chuck E Cheese rocks. I totally take the tickets from little guys like Nic! JK!

I can still remember coming over to help clean your house when baby Nic was born - time flies!