1: You have the best of intentions. Start running on your neighbors treadmill. Day one: I thought for sure I was going to die after one lap. How can eight laps possibly be only ONE mile???
2: Go about TWO miles in 35 minutes. Wow. What am I thinking?
3: Wake the next day to a renewed sense of capability. RIGHT. About 2 miles in 33 minutes. Plus not feeling too good...what is going on?
4: Take the part in my training book about a "rest day" seriously and take a couple off.
5: Wake up to the idea of running outside today. Go MAYBE a mile when I realize I really do not feel so great. On the way home I see a lady walking her dog that reminds me of Bailey and I proceed to lose it. Crying/sobbing for the rest of the walk home. Not a good day to run.
6: Wake up feeling like a truck hit me. I really do NOT feel well. What follows is a week off of running of any kind. Antibiotics, codeine, nasal sprays, and no sleep. GREAT.
7: Join the gym. My neighbors offer to use their treadmill turned into not the best of situations after feeling uncomfortable waking them up at 8am. Even though they SWORE they were up at 7am every morning.
8: Run at the gym for the first time after being sick.... 3miles in 45 minutes. Not a great time, but hey, at least I am back at it.
9: Next time at the gym...3 miles in 42 minutes. Need to work on my ability to run for more than 3 minutes at a time.
10: Load new songs on ipod in hopes that I get more motivated to run when AC/DC is blasting in my ears. Yeah, not really. But at least I can relate to the "you shook me all night long" when I feel my thighs moving as I run.
11: Run outside. 42 degrees. Ouch. My chest hurts. Not completely recovered from the bronchitis/sinus infection. Cold air is not the best on my lungs.
12: Discouragement sets in. I cry again as I come up the hill and see a dog. Man, am I really crazy? What am I thinking.
13: Look up to the sky and beg for the strength to do the 13.1 miles. 14 weeks to train.
14: Cry some more as I beg for strength and endurance. Wonder if taking that first step is really enough for me.
15: We have our plane tickets and hotel booked. GREAT. Just when I thought I would fake injury to get out of this. I guess I better find the strength somewhere. ****Looking to the sky again****
PS...please, keep your dogs off the street from 8am-9am each morning people. My heart can't take it!!
Chapter two: Wishing for a break so I don't feel guilty about cancelling the plane tickets.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Teresa,
I KNOW you can do anything you set your mind to. If it doesn't work out, shoot for next year, or something else. Don't be too hard on yourself. I have been "jogging" on the treadmill for 2 years, and still can't get more than 2 miles in 30 minutes! I have no endurance! But I keep at it because it makes me feel good. You are an awesome person!
Teresa, I love you post.
Hang in there, keep on keeping on, it will get easier.
Love you
Post a Comment