Friday, March 27, 2009

Little boys are so much fun...and so much work too! I love the fact that Nicolas can just move past things that hurt so quickly unlike his sister who may take a little convincing that she will live another day. I love that he can entertain himself with a plastic bag and a empty toilet paper roll. What? Oh didn't you know that was a parachute and can also be a bomb shelter if needed? Well, now you know.
I saw a book the other day entitled "Being Five is Hard...controlling my control panel". It made me feel happy because it said to me that my little guy is not the only one that is struggling with his control panel! I mean they don't write books for one kid do they? Nicolas will be five in May. Let the world know, he is growing up. And trying to learn about his control panel. My neighbor in her infinite wisdom(ha!) gave me a book a couple weeks ago...this one is entitled "Raising a Defiant Child". I wonder what she has seen. She must be looking out her window and spying on us when we are outside. Some people need to mind their own business really. I skimmed the book just to be nice. No, I did not recognize Nicolas is the scenarios they described. Maybe a little, but only the parts that I believe to be normal behavior. So, I won't be putting him on medication just yet, thank you very much.

So, I wanted to post a little about how sweet this little guy is. If only to remind myself that Nicolas will be fine. And his control panel is working, we just need to figure out the wiring a little bit more.
So, at bedtime my kids have their "special" objects that they sleep with. Drew has "flower blankie" and "Miles". Miles is a little Basset Hound looking dog that was given to me while I was pregnant with her. Flower Blankie is a blanket that I bought before she was born. Little do we know how much these things will come to mean to our kids when we are receiving/buying them!? Nicolas has to have his "puppy blankie" spread out on his pillow, covering it completely. He thinks his pillow is "too hot" and it stays cooler this way. Ok. And he has these guys:


This is "Puppy and Snow Glow or Globe". Sweet puppies that have been a part of his life since he was a newborn. He told me the other day that someday he might let me sleep with them if I am scared. Someday. We'll see. For now this is what he offered:
Kidneys, diaphram, stomach, and a liver.


The top picture is the parts that belong to "body man". Nicolas is obsessed with anatomy. OBSESSED. So, we take out the different organs and put them back in over and over. We talk about what they do and why our bodies need them. So, he offered up "Body Man" for me to cuddle with. Ahhhh. See, he does love me. And just to prove it...last night I came upstairs to go to bed and he had installed this:

His race car nightlight. In case I was scared and the "body man" wasn't making me feel safe. He had even turned it on for me. So, I figure I must be doing something right. He loves me.

He loves Daddy too. These friends have been added to Stan's night side table over the course of a few weeks. "Here Daddy, you can sleep with Scooby". I mean, really, how great is it that when your four, letting your Mom and Dad sleep with your special friends is your way of saying "hey I love you and think you are special enough to sleep with the things that mean a lot to me".

Oh and the book is a Spiderman book "Hands Off, Doc Oc". Again, little treasures that speak volumes. So, I am convinced that Nicolas is the sweetest boy on this planet. I am also convinced that my neighbors are all freaks and that me and Stan are doing a fine job of parenting.

2 comments:

The Lowe Girl said...

All I can say is I have been in that receiving end of other people's suggestions more than once and I couldn't help but wince a bit for you--as I did for me when "interested" individuals decided to share with me how my children would be "better" with the help of this book or with that suggestion. Isn't it interesting when other people think they know what our families need, even when they only see 1% of the picture? I've just had to make myself choose to believe that they were doing those things out of a sincere heart, but I've also decided never to share that type of "help" unless it is requested of me--and then very hesitantly. Overall, each of our kids have their strengths and weaknesses. That's part of their challenge as well as ours as parents. As the mother of boys, I think you and Stan are doing things the right way for your family!!! It's always easy to point out "bad spots" on our little families, but recognizing the jewels in our midst is much more satisfying, encouraging, and inspiring. I think you're awesome, my friend!!

Heather said...

I love your little 5 year old too - just by reading your blog entries about him. You obviously adore him and that's the best parenting there is. I love the body man - where can I get one for JD?? He's obsessed with anatomy too. I have a skeleton (from med school days) bundled up in a big garbage bag in my basement. Someday I hope to use him for Halloween - maybe I'll ditch him before the move and buy a "body man!"