Monday, February 23, 2009

I don't like Veterinarian's right now....



So, I guess the past year of being told that we should just leave the cyst on Baileys ear alone was a LIE!!! Friday evening a received a call from the Vet that removed the cyst down at OSU. Bad news, it was not a cyst, it was a tumor...a malignant one. Some rare form of cancer that can metastasize quickly. The only reason it didn't show up when they did a biopsy of it was because it was in the tissue, not the fluid. They only biopsied the fluid.


Now, not just lymphoma, but this other cancer now too. I am annoyed and bothered that my regular vet and the oncologist we see for the lymphoma both told us to leave it alone. It is fine, doesn't bother her, etc. etc. All this time it was a cancer that was growing and perhaps moving into Baileys lungs. Ugh. I feel like going to both of them and demanding all the money back that I have ever given them and then demanding an apology and maybe even kicking them...in the shins, just because.


The good news may be that since the entire mass was removed, it could be that they got it all. Maybe it hasn't spread yet. But guess what.....in order for me to find out if it has spread, she needs a radio graph, which of course costs a lot of money!! I give up. I love this dog so much and I have decided that if this is the time to let her just live with no more treatments, no more pokes and most of all, no more surgeries, then I will let it be. Really if it has spread, what can I do? Nothing. She is eleven years old and has lived a fabulous life I must say. I can't imagine not having her in our family. She is doing great right now, and after being told she would not be with us last year, she is still here! So she is a fighter! And I believe she will be with us for a long time still.


And as far as the vets go that mis-diagnosed her over the last two years, those that kept her in cages over night so they could run tests on her, those that held her down to take x-rays, and those that told me to say goodbye because we only had a few weeks left....Bailey would like you to kiss her you know what. And so do I.

1 comment:

jen Whetman said...

Oh, I feel for you! Vets sometimes make me crazy, too. I did get teary-eyed while reading this post. I've lost many dogs to old age, hit and runs, unknown reasons and our last one to severe hip dysplasia (he was in immense pain so we had to put him down). I think losing a pet to an illness is so difficult, even when you know that it is coming. I hope Bailey doesn't suffer and enjoys her time with you, I'm sure you and your family will. Good luck!