Here it is, all that I can post on out trip with my family to the east coast. The whole family (sans Daddy) hopped on the plane at 6am to head to Buffalo, NY. For whatever reason they routed us through Phoenix, which is 3 hours by plane SOUTH of us???? I guess there is logic to that, but I just don't see it! Regardless, it was a long flight and the kids behaved wonderfully! Nicolas actually slept for most the flight to Phoenix and then was up for the trip to Buffalo. They really have travelled enough now that they both know just to make the best of the time and enjoy their DVD players!
So we landed in Buffalo where the rest of the family, Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Ryan, Raef, Brynn, Uncle Rob, Aunt Melissa, Ali and Aunt Julie were waiting for us. Chad and Sherri were on a later flight in and met us that night. We picked up our rental cars and hit the road to Victor, NY! We started driving down the freeway and Melissa said we were getting off on exit 45, we had just passed exit 49. So, great, I think we will be there is no time. NOOOO, the exits are about 20 miles away from each other!! Ugh that was frustrating to watch them pass soooo slowly! Anyway, just venting. We arrived at the hotel safe and sound and went to have a nice dinner to celebrate my Dads birthday! After a long day we were all exhausted after dinner and ready for bed. So off we went for a good nights rest!
The next morning we all met to head out to our first location which was back at exit 47 or something, hey at least we know what to expect this time though! We went to Whitmer farm which was a cool experience, and then into Palmyra to grab some lunch and see the place that first printed the Book of Mormon. It was amazing to see how much time went into printing just one book, let alone 500! I can't imagine how they did it, we are fortunate to have the technology we do now, that is all I can say! So off to the Sacred Grove after that. Wonderful, peaceful experience, right? Um, unfortunatly not for me! Nicolas was not entirely sure about all these tours at this point and was ready to run and scream and well, do kid things. So, I sat on a bench with him, threatening him with all I could think of to take away from him! The family went on and enjoyed the expereince and Nicolas and I were able to join them, but not before I was so mad it was hard to relax and appreciate where I was. BUT, being in there calmed me down and we did have a neat experience despite the drama earlier! Drew was sure she had found the exact spot that Joseph Smith prayed,which became a goal for her upon entering the grove. Who knows, but the whole area makes you feel like anywhere could of been the spot, it is beautiful and serene.
That night we went to the Palmyra Pageant, which for those of you that have seen it know, is an amazing production! I can't believe how many people are involved and the work that has to go into something like that! Something I will not forget!
So, on to Canada the next day.....well after I found my wallet that I lost that is. Ugh, I lost it ( I mean my temper) when I realized on the way out of town that I did not have it. After much thinking it was finally discovered at the restaurant we ate at the previous day, oh back at exit 48 or something! Long story short, I got it and we all headed on our way to Niagra Falls. One problem though. Apparently Canadian officials don't take too kindly to the fact that kids that are not yours are in your car, and when you don't have your birth certificate on you, because, well, it is back in the car that had to take the detour to get the wallet! Sheesh, a little drama again! After we were chewed out at customs and made to feel like complete idiots they believed us that Nicolas was not being kidnapped by Ryan and that he did have Staceys ok to take the kids out of the country as well as Stan being ok with me taking our kids! Bring a note next time if you are travelling somewhere out of the country without your spouse, and make sure your kids are in the same car with you!! So, Niagra Falls was pretty. The actual falls at least. I was disapointed with the touristy part of it though. It looked like a street in Las Vegas around it, which takes away from the majesty of the falls I think. But the Maids of the Mist boat trip was a blast and we all enjoyed getting soaked!
Ok, so off to Vermont, where really nothing beside eating and driving and shopping happened, so I will spare you!
On to Boston! I loved this part of the trip! What a great city and neat history! The trolley ride was a great idea (thanks Ryan!) and an easy way to take it all in. Of course we get the trolley driver that is more interested in showing us the Gentlemans clubs and some erotic bakery, but you know, all a part of the expereince I guess! I skipped the harbor cruise because once again Nicolas was on my last nerve so we headed back to the hotel to catch some much needed rest. I wish we could of stayed longer there, it really was a fun town. Both Drew and Nicolas really enjoyed their subway experience for some reason. I guess travel in a train that smells a little suspicious and well, how clean can those seats be feelings is pretty cool though!
So, now off to Rhode Island...oh wait, I forgot Plymouth! We actually went there before Boston! Wow, just a little part of American history, how can I forget! The Mayflower II and Plymouth rock were cool to see. Although to be honest I expected a much bigger rock than what it actually was. Oh well. Still neat to see. Stacey met up with us here to finish out the trip too! Since she is from Rhode Island and her parents are living there, we were able to experience a lobster cookout the night before we headed home! That was fun and neat to hang out with the Caswells in their kneck of the woods for a change! No, I had no lobster. For those of you that know me, this will come as no surprise. Drew tried it and immediately swallowed a BIG glass of water afterward! Good for her for trying though! Nicolas wouldn't touch it! Anyway, before the lobster, the Caswells offered to take the kids to the beach and carousel ride so that the adults could go into Newport and explore the mansions without the worry of them breaking something of extreme value! Both of my kids said this was the funnest part of the trip because they got to swim in the ocean! Thanks once again to the Caswells! In Newport we saw The Breakers, which was the summer home of the Vanderbilt family. WOW. Amazing and very beautiful. It was cool to see another fun part of American history, and Newport was a beautiful area.
So, Rhode Island was at the top of my list as somewhere to visit again along with Boston. Really all the areas we went to were beautiful and amazing. We had a great time on the whole trip and just really soaked in as much as we all could in a short time. We are grateful to Ryan for flying us all back there and for all the work he put into organizing the whole thing! I know we got on each others nerves sometimes, but when all was said and done, the whole family had a great time thanks to him. Oh and I have to say thanks to Julie for putting up with me and my kids while sharing hotel rooms with us! I am grateful that you are a patient person! And Drew had a blast getting to know you better! So, back to reality, and just happy that I got to experience such a great time with my kids. This is something I hope they don't forget! Now if I can figure out how to do a slide show, I will set one up with the pictures I have!
Whew, that was long!
Monday, August 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Finally....I've been patiently waiting to hear how the big trip went. It sounded amazing. You're making me completely jealous and excited to go to Boston sometime soon. I've never been to New England and it sounds fabulous!
I laughed when you mentioned the distance between exits - so very true!
Post a Comment