I am loving summer this year! I think it has to do with the fact that the kids are at an age where we can go out and explore things and discover new places together without having to bring a huge diaper bag or push a stroller!
So, with my "rules" this summer, one was to go out and explore this beautiful area that we live in. So, after a morning spent stuck inside while I was cleaning the house, the kids were aching to get out and move! I had been thinking of taking them to a spot I found while walking Bailey this past fall when they were both in school. We are fortunate to live near the WSU Vancouver campus (walking distance). And if you want to see a really pretty campus, this is one of them! Below the campus is some property owned by the school that is still undeveloped and absolutely beautiful and fun. Everywhere you look there is something new to check out and the views of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens are breathtaking! So, I had this idea in my mind that I wanted the kids to experience a little of what I loved to do as a kid...getting out and getting dirty! I had come across a creek on my walk this past fall and wanted to take the kids to play in it. On the way there we were able to find huge maple leaves, butterflies, wild flowers, and we made sure to watch out for snakes too! We took Bailey of course because, well, she is a lab, and she loves the water! We headed out and I think maybe 10 minutes into the walk Nicolas says "mom my legs are tired, I want to go home!" "No Nicolas we are going somewhere you will have fun trust me!" I say in response. "How much longer because I may need to rest!" He says. Ok, I am frustrated. I kept thinking about how far I walked as a kid just to explore and find things (maybe because I had older brothers??) and I am sure I NEVER complained! :) So, after much convincing and getting to the trail where he could find sticks and pinecones, he seemed to forget how tired his legs were! Finally we get to the creek. Bailey did a nose dive straight in and immediatley caught scent of something that she never did discover, but never gave up looking for while we were there! Drew crossed a log to get to a bank that was bigger and a better spot to take their shoes off and get in. I helped Nicolas across and once we were over, both kids were in heaven! I was so happy and just once again felt so lucky that we have this so near our home for the kids to do. Drew waded in pretty deep until she started thinking about fish and noticed the water bugs! She stayed in only up to her calves after that. Nicolas, even though he is a boy, was a little more timid about getting to far in, but was content just to throw rocks in over and over. Seeing them play together (without fighting!!) was so fun and made the walk there totally worth it. Drew was such a great big sister and helped Nicolas cross the log to the other side and then helped him back again. They found sticks for Bailey and tried to find a tree frog without any luck, but still had fun searching! After awhile we started heading back home walking over a neat bridge and seeing an old pioneer cabin. It really did remind me of being a kid back in the hollow catching tadpoles and swimming in the pond. As we were walking back Nicolas said "Mommy I smell something, what is that?" I said "Does it smell good bud?" "Yes". He said. "Well, I think what you are smelling is summer buddy" I said in return. "Mmmm summer smells good Mom, just like sunshine!" He said. I wanted to cry, but only because I was happy. Kids are so great. We are so lucky to experience their points of view with them. It made me think of the smell of the hollow and how bad I must of smelled at the end of a hard day of playing. But, honestly, that smell brings me so many happy memories of my childhood, and now my kids childhoods, that I think I would bottle it and pull it out on bad days if I could! Just like sunshine, summer smells good!
2 comments:
Teresa!!!!!!
This is Julie Barlow. I was just thinking about you and your family the other day. I ran into Kirsten at the school and she gave me your blog address. Sarah is so excited to see pictures of Drew! She sent something to her in the mail. I really can't believe how big Nicolas is-he looks just like Stan-but cuter!!!! I'm so glad you guys are doing well. It sounds beautiful where you are. We still miss you!
Dear Drew,
I hope you had a happy Halloween and have a happy Thanksgiving. When are you coming here? I got baptized a month ago. Adam baptized me. Did you get my package? I really miss you! Hope you come soon! Love Sarah Barlow
Post a Comment